Tuesday, November 18, 2014

At the PowWow

I know my relatives always laugh their heads off when I talk about "cold" in Texas, but Saturday was overcast and gray and damp and cold. Four people showed up at Trader's Village outside Houston to sketch the pow wow and festivities. I had never attended a pow wow so this was all new to me.

I've been trying to do more gesture drawings and quick drawings of people without resorting to using  "icons"....in other words honing my skills at quick but accurate impressions. There were some colorful subjects to work with, but the dancing was so fast and furious that even Judith had a hard time getting things on paper. I settled for people on the sidelines watching or waiting to go on. The figure on the left had long beautiful wavy hair, but it wasn't until he turned around that I realized that it was a young guy. The center figure had real buffalo horns and fur on that hat. He was a fabulous dancer. The woman on the right had a burn-your-eyeballs-out colorful costume.

I got very cold quickly sitting in the bleachers so I caught up with Judith in the lunch area, grabbed some lunch and headed for someplace warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment