Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meet Texas Sketcher: B. Scott Shaevel

Hello!  I'm Brad Shaevel, a web application developer and urban sketcher, and I'm very excited to be your USk Texas correspondent from Austin, Texas!  This intro post comes on the heels of one of my favorite festival weekends in Austin ... SXSW (South by Southwest) music festival!    This year's event was no exception, bringing in a world of talented musicians and fans flooding into Austin for a slew of weekend-long block parties and musical showcases across the city.   I spent the weekend in one of my favorite SXSW spots listening to great line-ups of music, people watch-sketching, and just soaking up the festivities in the heart of Austin's SoCo (South Congress) area

My best-est sketching buddy, a rat-chi named Wiijet (pronounced "widget"), and I parked in front of Austin musical icon, the Continental Club, directly across the street from the picturesque Hotel San Jose for a couple of days.  Here we enjoyed front row sketching seats to the 2012 South by San Jose (SXSJ) block party. 

The sketch below is of the Hotel San Jose and Jo's Coffee shop SXSJ stage, and was completed on-the-spot over two days with final watercolor touches added back in the studio. 

2012 South by San Jose | SXSW,  Hotel San Jose and Jo's Coffee  South Congress Ave. Austin Tx | pen /watercolor, 7 x 20


So if you're ever in Austin, be sure to look me up and lets sketch, I know some great spots!  Thanks so much again for the opportunity to be a part of sharing the joy's of urban sketching, and the great city of Austin, one sketch at a time, through USk Texas!

b. scott shaevel
bscott@shaevel.com
http://www.shaevel.com

8 comments:

  1. Great post Brad! We're proud to have you as part of the group! Great sketch! Look forward to seeing more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much Tim! :) I'm really glad to be part of the group!

      Delete
  2. A pleasure to share blog with you Brad. Complete and detailed sketch, the color is fantastic. I hope sketch together soon
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tomás, thanks! :) It really is a pleasure to be sketching with you and this inspirational group of sketchers. Like you, I'm looking forward to any opportunities to meet and sketch together in the near future.

      Delete
  3. Hey B, great post. I'm glad you posted on such a great and iconic event for Austin like SXSW. Looking forward to sketching in Austin in the near future. Welcome to USkTX!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judith, I really appreciate it, thanks so much! I'm truly glad to be a part of USkTX and the opportunity to meet such great sketchers from across Texas (and the world!). Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  4. Dude, you knocked your first post out of the park! Great event, great story, great sketch! Welcome and looking forward to keeping up with Austin thru your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim for the awesome welcome, I really appreciate it!

      Delete