Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What's in Your Pen?



More and more of us seem to be using fountain pens in our field sketching. (There's even a little beauty in our photo montage banner.) I do too. But, it wasn't till I received a really nice NOS Eversharp as a gift in early November (and immediately started putting its delicious flex nib to work) that I started wondering how fountain pen inks compare, say, to the microns and dip pen inks we also use.

Since there seems to be a dearth of information on lightfastness and pH levels from the manufacturers I thought I'd take a very short break from sketching, do my on series of tests and articles, and share the results. For anyone interested, I begin the series here this week with a selection of blues.

Happy sketching!

3 comments:

  1. Fountain pens, I love my pen ( the one in header gralphic) I got in Barcelona after seeing Swasky's Japanese bent tip pen. Rotating the pen gives a varied line weight, not to be confused with a caligraphy nib. The one above is a Sailor. Cathy Johnson has a YouTube video demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItaX5qpWkI

    ReplyDelete