Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sketching around Austin

Last month the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) had their annual conference in Austin.  A group of design drawing professors set up a sketchcrawl for the first day of the conference,  I was lucky enough to be invited to come along (now that I'm a bonafide academic), as was Richard Alomar, the founder of Urban Sketchers New York and a professor at Cornell.  It was a great day of making new friends and leisurely sketching impressions of a great city.  At the end of the day our accordion-style Moleskine sketchbooks were opened and hung for display at a 3rd Street gallery (see photo).  Austin is hungry for more sketchcrawls!

The broad pedestrian way outside the Commons on the U of Texas campus.

The amazing axial view from in front of Memorial Tower to the State Capitol.
The Memorial Tower on campus.
Yup, the back yard at Stubb's BBQ is where I first saw Willie Nelson live, and was captivated by his "Willieness."
One of the old stone bridges over Waller Creek (this one at Sixth Street downtown), drawn from the limestone creek bed.
The accordion-style sketchbooks were hung from small binder clips on the gallery wall...pass me a Shiner, please...




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Wow! Stunning and inspiring sketches of Austin!

    My apologies to Urban Sketchers - Texas for having gone missing, as Austin's urban sketch representative to this group. I unfortunately had to slow things down and took a sabbatical for personal health reasons, but I am back in the saddle, and on the mend!

    I am very happy to announce that I am now co-organizer of the Austin Urban Sketcher's meetup group and I'm looking forward to helping facilitate the group's awareness of, and enjoyment of their participation in, the larger urban sketching community! We currently have an event scheduled to sketch the Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum in south Austin on June 15th. We will also be scheduling a sketchcrawl event on Saturday July 13th for the World Wide Sketchcrawl #40!

    We would love to have anyone from this group who may be in Austin to join any of the scheduled (or spontaneous!) urban sketch sessions, and sketchcrawls! Please feel free to contact me ( bscott@shaevel.com) if you're going to be in town and interested in sketching. :)

    Taking inspiration from your sketches above, I'll also be doing more personal sketchcrawling around Austin, and I'm looking forward to, and grateful for, the opportunity to share those sketches with the group!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    Sounds like an action packed event. Love the hanging moleskines.
    Scott,
    Glad you are on the mend. Would love to join the Austin sketchers sometime. But June date is a no go for me this time. Next time I'm in Austin for a visit I'll see if you are up for a sketch together.
    J

    ReplyDelete