Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Public Art in Fort Worth


Richard Serra's "Vortex" is a fantastic icon and sentinal for Fort Worth's Cultural District, and complements the horizontal architecture of the Museum of Modern Art beautifully. Also great sound effects when you jump, clap or shout on the inside! This sketch was done pretty quickly in an 8x12in. Moleskine watercolor sketchbook with unipin fine line permanent ink pen, then washed over with watercolor. I threw a little table salt on the blue sky while still wet for some added interest. When I added the dark shadow I thought I'd ruined the drawing, but once dry it made a big difference in the liveliness of the sketch.

2 comments:

  1. yay!! USK Texas is up!!! Great sketch Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful sketch. I like the light quality and the salt effect.

    ReplyDelete